Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Temple

Nehemiah's prayer is one of those records of scripture that many of sermons and teaching outlines have focused upon regarding aspects of prayer.  A playbook of prayer.  A prayer spawned out of the brokenness over the troubled condition of not only these Jews but also of Jerusalem.    I can understand disappointment even being distraught over the condition of those you've come to love, but a city and it's walls? 

A brief mental journey through the history of Jerusalem and recalling that to OT Believers it was the hub, the center of their experience with God.  It was where the Temple was located. The place of not merely meeting together, but of meeting God.  Then I fast-forwarded to the 21st century.  In the present age, God meets with Christians through the Holy Spirit right where we are.  As a matter of fact, in the New Testament writings of Paul, our bodies are the Temple of God.  God abides with us and in us.  No longer is needed an ornate piece of furniture (such as the old testament Ark of the covenant) which symbolizes God's presence.  The Believer can enjoy His presence 24-7!

So, how do I maintain my temple?  How is my structure looking?  Sound and sturdy or a bit wobbly and uncertain? How concerned am I about what I allow to bombard the temple of my body and mind? 

Am I laying building blocks or swinging a wrecking ball?? 

Contributed by Gene Schnuckel

No comments:

Post a Comment