Friday, September 23, 2011

Distrubed

The first chapter, though short, is packed with some very powerful truth and insights into the character and condition of both Nehemiah and the remnant back in Jerusalem.



A Jewish brother returns from Judah and reports, "Our people back in Judah are in great trouble and disgrace.  Jerusalem's walls are broken down and the gates destroyed by fire."

When Nehemiah hears this, he sits down and cries.  In fact, for several days he carries on like this; mourning, fasting, praying over the condition of his people and his city.

This leads me to ask myself how I react when I hear that a brother or sister in Christ is in great trouble, or living in disgrace before the Lord?  The walls and fabric of their lives broken down and gates destroyed.  Gates are quite important in one's life, especially when considering Christ calls himself "the gate" in John 10:9.  I'm often guilty of taking such news and processing it with an attitude of self-righteous indifference or consuming it like a morsel of juicy news.

Or what if that fallen brother is ME?  How would YOU react to the news that I'm in trouble and need rescuing?  Would YOU come looking for me?  Would you?

Contributed by Phil Schaap

No comments:

Post a Comment