Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nehemiah 1:1-4

Following the Babylonian captivity, Nehemiah had gone from captive to cupbearer.   In serving the king, Nehemiah was not living in his homeland.  In spite of his position, upon meeting fellow Jews, he asks about two things....how are those who returned from captivity and also the status of Jerusalem.

The condition of both were basically down-trodden.   To the Jews, the City was the holy city.  It was Judah's capital city.  The city's temple was viewed as God's special presence.  The wall was a symbol of strength and peace.  Nehemiah's response was one of overpowering emotion. Leading him to mourn, fast and pray for the Lord's blessing on the people.

These few verses offer some insights into the character of Nehemiah.  It also offers checkpoints for me as well.  In spite of my current conditions, do I have a concern for fellow believers?  Is that concern deep-rooted or superficial?  Is my concern real enough to move me to come along side another believer and grieve with them?  Or am I willing to give up something in order to help another?  Do I care enough to seek out the enabling and assistance of the God of all creation rather than stumble through the circumstance on my own?

May I as a former prisoner freed by God's grace hold forth the cup of Christ's love to others.

Contributed by Gene Schnuckel

1 comment:

  1. These are encouraging thoughts about our relationships with fellow believers. Hopefully we can all develop a Nehemiah's concern for and care for others.

    ReplyDelete