Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Work

Heh.4:6b  “…for the people had a mind to work.”

I was a boy of 9 or 10 when Dad instructed me to clean up the garage. I cleaned and organized the work bench, threw away some empty boxes, stacked some other boxes, re-arranged some other things, and sat down to rest. Dad came back finding me sitting on a stool. “What’s goin’ on?”

“I’m all done and taking a break.”

“Can you not see dirt?” he asked while grabbing a broom off  its hook. “Look at this garage floor. Don’t wait for someone to tell you to sweep. You’ve got to take initiative. You’ve got to see dirt, not wait until someone tells you it’s there. Don’t be someone who has to be told what to do. Find a job and do it, NOW! There’s always something to do. Don’t be a guy who sits around having to be told what to do. Look for dirt and take care of it.”

Nehemiah complimented the people on having a “mind to work.” Can you see dirt?

Contributed by Rich Kornoelje

No comments:

Post a Comment