Monday, October 3, 2011

Stand Firm

I thank God for the challenge to be like Nehemiah. From the first chapter, I learned how he took his heart to God and acknowledged His authority over all. Then he listened for God's prompting, as he stayed in communication with Him. He acknowledged that God was putting the good thoughts in his mind to do, and that He would give the people success as they followed God's lead in obedience.

And then the challenges came. (Why do I always think that stepping out in faith and obedience should be challenge-free?) But God continued to be faithful, and the people worked hard, and were ready to fight. "Do not be afraid . . .remember the Lord who is great and awesome" (4:14) "Our God will fight for us." (4:20) Their enemies were trying to frighten the people and tried various tricks to frighten Nehemiah and get him off-course, even after the wall was finished.

My enemy is constantly trying to get me to fear and doubt God and His purposes for me. I want to be like Nehemiah, who's confidence was in "the great and awesome God" (1:5) and His continual leading, as I step out in faith to obey His promptings during the day.

Contributed by Brenda Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment