Thursday, June 19, 2014

Family TALK June 22

A FATHER’S LOVE

Have you every asked yourself the questions, “Am I making an impact? am I a good father? Do my kids love me? Does what I do matter?”  These were all thoughts I had in my mind as this past fathers day approached.  This article helps put to words what my heart knows and what I am learning through God’s grace gift, my precious family.

From The Look of a Father at Thriving Family.com

Love is the key to everything. If you love your kids and show them that you love them, the rest naturally develops. 

We often consider Mom to be the heart of the family. But Dad has just as critical a role to play in the lives of his children, beyond just carrying the mantle of leadership. A picture comes to mind of a big, strong tree in the backyard, that old oak that spreads its branches across the sky like open arms, the place that kids run to in the morning to play near or sit for comfort.

Can we build that same sense of unshakable security? Can we be the father who says to his kids, “Come, come sit on my lap. What did you do today? Did you make a mistake? What did you learn?” It’s a reflection of how I see our heavenly Father. Someone who’s always ready to share a laugh or wipe a tear. That father can be stern, yes, but always in a loving way. Consequences and correction may come, but he never speaks out of condemnation. His children feel safe. 

Fatherhood is about being engaged with your kids, talking and playing with them, holding them when they need to be held. It’s about always aiming to be present, not fleeing into a “man cave” or escaping to work. Those diversions are short, flighty things compared to your relationship with your kids.

COOKOUT

Summer get together!

August 16, come cook out with the Faris family at our home (39 E. 20th St) from 11:30am to 1:00pm.  This event is open to all families and volunteers in the Children's Ministry.  Come and go as you wish.  All those involved play an important role.  Let’s get to know each other better and celebrate what God is doing.
Hot dogs, chips, and beverages provided. 
RSVP by July 31 by emailing Dave Faris at dave@immanuel.cc.

No comments:

Post a Comment